14 Dec Three simple choices for a healthier planet
If you care about the environment, here are three simple choices for a healthier planet! The Earth will thank you!
- Want to protect the environment? Use fewer harmful chemicals and you’ll be on the right track. It’s hard to be sure about the long-term negative effects chemicals can have, both on our bodies and on the planet, so it’s best to avoid them if possible. Opt for chemical-free lawn and garden care; all-natural beauty and hygiene items; natural household cleaners; and organic food. The Earth will thank you!
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a typical passenger vehicle emits about 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year. Any amount of carbon dioxide we can cut back on will help. For short trips, try walking or biking—you’ll also get a healthy dose of exercise in, without setting foot in a gym. If travelling on foot or two wheels isn’t feasible, try carpooling with a friend, neighbor or coworker to a mutual destination. And if all else fails and you need to drive your car, line up errands in the most efficient route to save time and miles driven.
- Anytime you can use less electricity, it’s a win for the planet. Try some of these quick ways to conserve energy around your home:
- Trade incandescent bulbs for more energy-efficient CFLs or LEDs.
- Use smart power strips, which turn off the power to electronics when they’re not being used.
- Maintain your heating, ventilating and air conditioning system.
- When it’s time to buy a new appliance, choose an Energy Star-certified model.
- Seal air leaks around doors and windows.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated to the recommended level of heat resistance for where you live.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate warm air in the winter and cold air in the summer.
Read more: Sustainability tips